Casper Imaging + 10.10.2 = No Block Copy

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Anyone seeing issues with Block Copy Imaging while on 10.10.2? I've tried 10.10.2 NetBoots sets as well as an external drive running 10.10.2. My imaging process fails to block copy and drops back to the slower "installing." My previous NetBoot set was running 10.10.0 and I didn't see this problem. I'm running 9.63 and my distribution points are SMB.

52 REPLIES 52

timdambrosio
Contributor

Put Casper imaging 9.64 in our NBI and imaging fine now for me. JSS still running 9.62

trenta
New Contributor

I too was having this problem from a boot drive. I tried removing compiled configuration profiles and re replicating my drive amongst many other things. In the end I completely wiped the boot drive, installed 10.10.2 and replicated from scratch. I didn't expect it to make a difference but it is now working for me again.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Is this still an issue on 9.65? Planning our move to 9.65 and we cant be dealing with this.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@dgreening it is fixed, but there are other issues to lookout for.

See this

And this

There are others too. Search for "9.65".
9.65 is not without flaws, but the core storage thing appears fixed.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I think that we are good in terms of those two reported issues. We are all AFP and don't have $ : or / in our AD service account password.

I used Imaging 9.65 with our 9.62 environment and block copy is back!

nessts
Valued Contributor II

I have a 9.65 server and 9.65 imaging app, and using target mode imaging, then fill out the hostname click ok and the imaging app freezes, never images the machine, never un-mounts the disk the elapsed time freezes and never moves. Local disk distribution point.
same thing happens on a 10.9.5 10.10.2 machine running imaging.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

I'm having issues with 9.65 running on 10.10.2 and Target Mode Imaging - basically that the resultant disk has bad permissions (everything is owned by 99 instead of 0). Fixing disk permissions allows the resultant computer to boot, but no restore partition is created. I'm using an AutoDMG 10.10.2 base.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@dgreening - I see in another post that the "!" character is bad as well. I have that in our accounts and I need to change that. Casper Admin is crashing like crazy when replicating the DP's - so hopefully that helps alleviate that.
Also, if you're using a beta of OS X 10.10.3, Casper Remote 9.65 crashes on launch (confirmed by others) so using 9.62 works.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Casper Imaging 9.65 seems to work ok on 10.10.3.

dohare
New Contributor

After limited testing, I'm seeing the problem is back in Casper Imaging 9.7 on a 10.10.3 netboot image. I can confirm that 9.65 still works from the same image.

MAD0oM
Contributor

I can second that with 10.10.3 CasperNBI, 9.72 issue is back.... Having success with 9.63 and 10.10.3 image.... Any word on a fix?

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

No problems in our shop, @MAD0oM, though every once in a while the Casper Imaging splash image doesn't show up…it just looks like it is sitting in the OS until it randomly reboots again.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Just to jump on the bandwagon. We're 100% A-OK using 9.72, and a 10.10.3 NBI created using AutoCasperNBI (Which used a 10.10.3 OS installer created by AutoDMG). In addition we use AFP file shares. This leads me to the question. Which problem really seems to be re-occuring with folks here? The block copy issue on the OS, or compiled image?