Casper Imaging frozen on "The imaging process is finishing installing software"

Not applicable

Is OS X prompting me for something behind that black screen? How can I check the logs since the Mac's in question are in a reboot loop?

Has JAMF thought about adding a process bar to Casper Imaging's "Installing Software" page?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

When you used CCP to build it, did you choose the options to:

Disable all Adobe AIR installers, including Community Help Client
Ignore conflicts and continue installations

04dab7896ec2425a84ea8c571d1a07d8

If not, that's your issue (AIR will hang a machine if install is attempted at imaging time).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Not applicable

@mm2270

"Under Review" and the request was made three years ago :/

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

biggest fail in casper suite by far
this is one of the many reasons I don't use casper imaging

plawrence
Contributor II

@Abdiaziz

Can you SSH into the machine and check its local jamf.log to see where it is getting stuck?

Not applicable

It's a 50/50. I tried to SSH today and some Mac's let me, others didn't. I'll check the local.jamf.log tomorrow! 8 hours of being stuck on that screen, ugh.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

What packages were you installing? It's possible something (i.e. Creative Cloud) is hanging up (DeployStudio 38% error)... reboot in Single User mode and check the /var/log/jamf.log, last thing that was installing should be in there...

Not applicable

@RobertHammen

It was Adobe CC 2014. Removed it from the image, and it imaged fine. I'll test out running it as a policy when imaging is comepeltly finished. I know the Adobe temp account is the reason. Why does the Adobe temp account hang the imaging process? That's a good question.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Generally from what I have seen the main reason why that screen hangs is the OS is waiting for some kind of input, user or otherwise that it is not receiving.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

When you used CCP to build it, did you choose the options to:

Disable all Adobe AIR installers, including Community Help Client
Ignore conflicts and continue installations

04dab7896ec2425a84ea8c571d1a07d8

If not, that's your issue (AIR will hang a machine if install is attempted at imaging time).

Not applicable

@RobertHammen

The suite was package by our last Mac person. Since that person never used Casper I feel like it was packaged wrong. I'll need to find/request/buy Adobe CC packager and re-do this. Thank you once again @RobertHammen. I'll update this thread once that process is complete.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We see this a lot. We try to make sure ssh is enabled before any other task so we can always get in and either kill the jamfhelper and troubleshoot, or tail the /var/log/jamf.log to where its stuck.

I know lots of people are saying imaging is going away, but its still used a lot, particularly in education where there are labs of shared devices.

beneb
New Contributor III

I've had some luck canceling out of the window with Option+Command+Escape. You should then be able to navigate to terminal or console to determine where the issue might be.