Casper Imaging issue when NetBooted

ayoffe
New Contributor II

I'm trying to set up a NetBoot imaging environment to boot machines to for re-imaging with Casper Imaging.

My NetBoot set works successfully, following the guidelines provided in the JAMF KB. It boots, logs in as root, and auto-launches Casper Imaging. Casper Imaging says it has successfully installed an OS, and the file structure on the drive is complete, but Casper Imaging does not bless the drive, and does not show up in Startup Disk.prefpane or at Startup Manager.

If I boot to the FW800 drive I used to create the imaging environment, Casper Imaging makes a bootable drive, but not when booted over NetBoot.

Any guidance?

4 REPLIES 4

ToriAnneke
Contributor II

I had the same problem

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4755

ayoffe
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, our issues are not quite the same, and this did not solve it for me.

Casper Imaging never errors, and indicates a successful installation. Mach_kernel, boot.efi, system.log, kernel.log, and various other system files are missing from Imaging's "successful installation."

ayoffe
New Contributor II

I'm currently creating a 10.6.8 NetBoot set to see if the same issue occurs there.

ayoffe
New Contributor II

Upon further testing, for some reason my Casper Imaging running from my NBI will not block copy the compiled configuration, either.

Has anyone else replicated this behavior or found a workaround?

At this point I think I may just need to use Deploy Studio to get base OSes laid down while I wait for the next Casper Suite update.