Casper NetInstall based off 10.7 modular image... not netbooting

daworley
Contributor II

Hey all,

I'm troubleshooting a Casper 8.21 NetInstall set created with 10.7. The image wasn't booting over the network, so poking around inside I see that there is no i386 folder holding the booter files.

I noticed in the pdf for the NetInstall creator tool (version 3.2) that it only mentions 10.6. Can anyone comment if this version is compatible with creating a 10.7 NetInstall set?

Thoughts?

-----------------------------
Douglas Worley Apple Certified System Administrator Apple Certified Trainer AppleCare Certified Service Trainer Certified Casper Administrator

5 REPLIES 5

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

There is a new 10.7 tool for this in the resource kit.

Regards,

Ben.

andyinindy
Contributor II
There is a new 10.7 tool for this in the resource kit.

Oh really? Where might this be, because I am also seeing the issue that daworley reports (no i386 folder, no booter file, etc.).

Thanks,

--Andy

andyinindy
Contributor II

never mind, I found it. Apparently on 10.7 we are supposed to use the Casper NetBoot Automator Action instead of the Netinstall Creator tool. Good to know :)

andyinindy
Contributor II

OK, so I was able to create a netboot image using the SIU and Casper automator action, using my InstaDMG base image. However, the image does not auto login as root or start the imaging app. I tried creating the .AppleSetupDone file, and this just drops me into the login panel. Any suggestions for how to make my image auto-login & launch the imaging app? I thought that the automator action would do this for me, but I guess I was expecting too much...

adthree
New Contributor III

@andyindy unfortunately it did not do this for me either so when I created my netboot image i made sure to boot into the OS and enable root and set casper imaging to run at login.