Chaining updates

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Is there any way to chain updates together? For instance, the Office 12.1.4 update just came out which requires the 12.1.3 update. 12.1.4 was released because 12.1.3 was broken. What's the best way to get people up to 12.1.4 while making sure they're not stuck on 12.1.3? Is there a way to slipstream it?

j
--
Jared Nichols
ISD Infrastructure and Operations - Desktop Engineering
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood St.
Lexington, MA 02420-9108
(781) 981-5500

4 REPLIES 4

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

I would set the packages to ascending priorities, then trigger them all with
the same policy.
Another way would be to create a smart group with the criteria of having a
receipt for the first update. Scope a policy for the second update to this
smart group, repeat as necessary until all updates in the chain have been
covered.

Before doing any of this, I would verify that update X+1 requires update X,
and does not include update X.

Not applicable

The way I've managed this is by chaining policies based on smart-groups tagge to Application version.

In your case for instance, I have a smart-group whose members consist of computers running 12.1.1, and 12.1.2 (Our Office 2008 package is 12.1.1). A policy is in place to deploy 12.1.3 to that members of that smart group (make sure to remember to add "Update Inventory" to the advanced tab in the polciy.

Then you can create a simliar smart group of users that have 12.1.3, and create a policy to deploy 12.1.4 to members of that second smart group.

Users that have any version prior to 12.1.3 will not get 12.1.4 until they are updated to 12.1.3, as they move from one smart group to the second; "Slipstreaming", as you say. In practice the whole process happens relatively quickly and efficiently.

Not applicable

I haven't gotten into any updaters yet, but can't we just run composer and have it look for new and modified files, install all the updaters to MS Office, and then push the resulting package as a "slipstreamed" update.

I only ask because I was just about to do that for MS Office and though someone else might have done this before.

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu

ernstcs
Contributor III

Ryan,

That's how I've done things thus far. Run composer to look for new files, remote desktop install my current package, run patches, and then clean up the package.

I've only done this because some of the MPKG files I've used in the past would error out. I had this particular issue with Office 2008 SP1 in particular from an SMB share, and was given this response from support:

"Certain .MPKG can be pushed with Casper but not all. The third party manufacture allows certain parameters that will prevent a proper installation. Examples include not being able to install to another partition, not be able to install over a network, etc. so our suggestion is to try and if it works then great but if not then create a composer package. So this is always an option to take when running into a problem like this."

So I would follow the advice at the end there. Test test test, if it works, cool...then I'd use a packaged updater. I just make a package because then when an new machine is imaged it's just already up to date. Just a matter of preference I imagine.

Craig E