Changes to com.apple.dock.plist

michael_finn
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to push network mounts to the dock via com.apple.dock.plist.
(There is a Global version and a User version. I need to edit the user version located at /Library/Managed Preferences/Username/com.apple.dock.plist. Here is where apple has stored the users "Network Home" drive.)

My problem is that when I push the global version of this plist it erases all persistent-others and static-others from the array. So I am forced to edit the user version which is where I am stumped.

I need to change the contents of the plist:
bplist00”]static-others_ MCXDockSpecialFolders[static-apps°“ Ytile-typeYtile-dataXurl-tile‘

UlabelSurlYfile-dataTbookoUsername s Network Home“_CFURLStringType_CFURLStringsmb://domain.org/level1/users/level3/username/“O†book†0Dsmb://domain.com/level1/users/level3/username/$˛ˇˇˇ–°_#AddDockMCXOriginalNetworkHomeFolder†5ACHRentxÇá¿≈ÿÂÁºæ‰Â

I need this to have all the user information changed to variables so that it can be uses globally for all users.

1 REPLY 1

bartlomiejsojka
Contributor
Contributor

You haven't really provided helpful plist dump here (please use /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "print" or defaults read for that), but I've had already a similar solution for users' standard, unmanaged preferences. This should be a great start for you, so have a look and adjust to your needs (persistent to static, paths etc.):

#!/bin/bash

# CONFIGURABLES:

ITEMNAME="Label of item to modify"

# PREREQUISITES:

PB="/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy"
MODIFIED_DOCK_ITEMS=0
USERS=$(dscl . list /Users UniqueID | awk '$2 >= 500 {print $1;}')

# FUNCTIONS:

function modifyDockItem() {
    for U in "$USERS"; do
        if [ -d "/Users/$U" ]; then
            PLIST="/Users/$U/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist"
            for ((i=0;i>=0;i+=1)); do
                TILETYPE=$($PB -c "print:persistent-others:$i:tile-type" ${PLIST} 2> /dev/null)
                if [[ "$TILETYPE" == "url-tile" ]]; then
                    URLLABEL=$($PB -c "print:persistent-others:$i:tile-data:label" ${PLIST})
                    if [[ "${URLLABEL}" == "${1}" ]]; then
                        $PB -c "set:persistent-others:$i:tile-data:label ${U}'s Network Home" ${PLIST}
                        $PB -c "set:persistent-others:$i:tile-data:url:_CFURLString smb://domain.org/level1/users/level3/${U}" ${PLIST}
                        ((MODIFIED_DOCK_ITEMS++))
                        echo "Persistent ${1} item modified in ${U}'s dock."
                        break
                    fi
                else
                    break
                fi
            done
        fi
    done
}

# SCRIPT: