Changing domain password without admin rights

Hexley
New Contributor II

Hi Forum,

Word is coming down from the top that our senior leadership team wants to revoke local admin rights on people's Macs/PCs this year. Our people are currently Admin/Managed/Mobile accounts.

As such, if admin access is revoked, what's the best process for users who wish to change their AD/domain password on their Mac if they can't unlock the System preferences pane?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

joshuasee
Contributor III

I can confirm that the change password button in User & Groups as well as Security doesn't require the pane be unlocked, and have had to show users this on a few occasions. If it isn't working for you for some reason, you should really figure out what that reason is, but you could also run a script via Self Service to let people change their passwords with the passwd command, then update the keychain to reflect that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cleverleys
Contributor

I believe that you can still change your password even with Users & Groups locked.......

osxadmin
Contributor II

the other option is "Security & Privacy".

we use "Apple Enterprise Connect" total price about $4,500.00 "one time fee" but it was worth it in our enviroment.

joshuasee
Contributor III

I can confirm that the change password button in User & Groups as well as Security doesn't require the pane be unlocked, and have had to show users this on a few occasions. If it isn't working for you for some reason, you should really figure out what that reason is, but you could also run a script via Self Service to let people change their passwords with the passwd command, then update the keychain to reflect that.

Hexley
New Contributor II

Thanks team, if the "Change Password" button isn't grayed out, then we're probably good. Regarding Apple Enterprise Connect, is this available for sale directly? Is there a product page from Apple I can provide to our bean counters/senior leaders to budget for?

osxadmin
Contributor II

about enterprise connect

check out when they have the next "live demo" for more information.