Changing "unknown servers" (SMB) to "known"

CCNapier
Contributor

Hi folks.
I can prevent the following appearing:
6c5994045fa047df8d19db1145918afb
Image stolen from forums

With:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.NetworkAuthorization AllowUnknownServers -bool YES

However, is there a way to add our.server.ca (or any other we choose), to a "known server" list? I presume that if I were to click the OK button in the above image, it would remember the settings somewhere.

-edit- uploaded wrong image initially.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tangentism
Contributor II

Theres not a 'list' you can add servers to. It's a security feature added by Apple that displays that dialog wanrning any time you try to connect to a server that requires credentials to authenticate.

When connecting to a server that requires a user name and password, macOS Sierra 10.12 or later asks you to click Connect, even when the name and password have been saved in your keychain. This helps you to avoid transmitting login credentials to a server you didn't intend to connect to.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207112

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tangentism
Contributor II

Theres not a 'list' you can add servers to. It's a security feature added by Apple that displays that dialog wanrning any time you try to connect to a server that requires credentials to authenticate.

When connecting to a server that requires a user name and password, macOS Sierra 10.12 or later asks you to click Connect, even when the name and password have been saved in your keychain. This helps you to avoid transmitting login credentials to a server you didn't intend to connect to.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207112

CCNapier
Contributor

@Tangentism I thought this may be the case, which is a bit unfortunate, considering we will set AllowUnknownServers to work around the issue. Of course this does work, but it would be nice to keep the "security feature" for real unknown servers.

I still think it must keep a settings somewhere when you press connect though, so you are not prompted again for that server.