Check my sanity: FileVault 2 Enabled + M1 MacBooks + MacOS 11.6 = broken? different?

jsantiago
New Contributor II

So here is my dilemma. After having Apple M1 Macbooks updated to 11.6 and then restarting, I was greeted with the standard text field for login and passwords and not the FileVault login screen with the provision users circles.
This is happening with all Apple M1 MacBooks in my environment after updating to 11.6. I validated that if I wipe and I do not add the JAMF Pro management profiles and enable FileVault manually that I am still presented with the text field for login and password. Now granted in the System Setting > Users > Login Options I did enable the text field to be listed since that helps in differentiating between a FileVault encrypted device and one that has not yet encrypted. JamfPro does list our existing manage devices as FileVault encrypted and also list the provision users. But again on any of these devices the traditional FileVault we are all accustom to seeing is not loading. And I dont see anything that speaks to this here, on Apple site, or on the internet. Does anyone have some insight that I may have missed. Thanks as always!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jsantiago
New Contributor II

I followed up with JAMF Support and sure enough FV2 on Silicon chip set on 11.2 and greater changes the way FV works. Instead of listing the provision users you only view the login and text fields. The only way to validate who is provision is to look their device in JAMF and see the listed users there. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jsantiago
New Contributor II

jsantiago
New Contributor II

I followed up with JAMF Support and sure enough FV2 on Silicon chip set on 11.2 and greater changes the way FV works. Instead of listing the provision users you only view the login and text fields. The only way to validate who is provision is to look their device in JAMF and see the listed users there. 

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Thank you for this. I just recently got some M1 MacBook Pros in and was testing with them, and was confused as to why the login screen was showing username & password fields instead of the familiar usernames.

This is actually a good change. Something we've been asking Apple to do for years. The Intel EFI was the holdup on implementing that. Now that Apple has moved to their own chips, they were able to get this done.