Chrome install issue

rohrt85
New Contributor II

I am having an issue with our Chrome install package for Self Service when a student goes to install it. Everything goes great with it but when you open it for the first you get 2 pop ups. One is about KSAdmin and the other Google Update Services but each ask for admin passwords. I would like to eliminate these pop ups and make sure it is a crisp install each time with no annoying pop ups.

Also, if these pop ups come up and I 'Allow Always' it will then not allow any other app to open and I will have to restart the computer to overcome this. Any thought on that one?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

jjones
Contributor II

Did you package this using Composer? Did you use the pre-installed or snapshot, either one I'd double check the file locations and permissions of each item as it could have a vital part incorrect.

gokoudes
New Contributor III

We'd seen this when playing with whitelisting applications and the locations from which they could launch. KSAdmin/KSFetch were difficult to get working with whitelists..

rohrt85
New Contributor II

I did create it with Composer but the permissions part is where I think I am having this issue. I did go back to look at the permissions and I have set to root and everyone (instead of being set for under my name)-is there where I might have made the mistake?

pblake
Contributor III

@rohrt85 - To avoid that, you want to package the Keystone Agent files from /Library/Launch Agents & Daemons. Also the Google Software Updater. See screenshot. Also make sure you have opened Chrome on the machine you are packaging on once before adding it to composer.

1bbf6d10838b423f8167006d3bb33595

rohrt85
New Contributor II

@pblake Thanks! I take it that I will have to make sure to open Chrome before hand and then I grab the 3 other files and put them in there as well?

Also, on the bottom of that page where it says R W X would I need to change anything there as well?

pblake
Contributor III

@rohrt85 - I would leave all the created files in Library as the same settings as created as they should all be owned by root:wheel. As for the Chrome.app, I would set your local admin as the owner and admin group as the group. Set the permissions as 755.

jduvalmtb
Contributor

@pblake Does packaging Chrome like that also enable auto-updates without needing to enter admin credentials? I'm getting Update failed (error: 12) in Chrome when trying to Compose just like that.

pblake
Contributor III

Yes, those keystone agents allow updates to happen in the background.