Chrome wont force install extensions using ExtensionInstallForcelist

opus
New Contributor

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone else here force installs chrome apps and how you do it?
Right now, I am trying to use the com.google.chrome.plist in /Library/Preferences.
That method works great for all other chrome settings that I want (for example I have developer tools turned off, populated the blacklist for extensions, etc), and it's easy to deploy and update with jamf.

BUT I cant get it to actually force install any extensions.
chrome://policy lists everything right and even says the status for that policy is "OK"
any ideas? or a better method?

thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

drioux
Contributor

I recently wrestled with this. In the end we touched three different areas:
1. ExtensionInstallBlacklist - It appears as though you need to wildcard a blacklist, so the whitelist has something to challenge against.
2. ExtensionInstallForcelist - Add the update string for the "forced" whitelisted Apps and Extensions, these then go on no matter what
3. ExtensionInstallWhitelist - Then we added "optional" Apps and Extensions that people could put on if they preferred, but that weren't forced upon them. Then we vett these before we add them.

I keep the whole thing in its own Config Profile, and scope it accordingly (see attached). Also below I have put in a sample of how we are targeting things in the plist.

<dict>
    <key>ExtensionInstallBlacklist</key>
    <array>
        <string>*</string>
    </array>
    <key>ExtensionInstallForcelist</key>
    <array>
        <string>aohghmighlieiainnegkcijnfilokake;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx</string>
    </array>
        <key>ExtensionInstallWhitelist</key>
    <array>
        <string>laookkfknpbbblfpciffpaejjkokdgca</string>

csmithson
New Contributor

please keep in mind the correct setting is ExtensionInstallBlocklist, not blacklist