Cisco Secure Client package (version 5.1.2.42) error "No connection to VPN service.Reattachment fail

deep786
New Contributor II

I created the Cisco Secure Client package (version 5.1.2.42) using the Cisco documentation . It was working fine, but now I am seeing the error "No connection to VPN service. Reattachment failed" (Screenshot attached). I don't know what could be the root cause. Any help would be appreciated.

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/23515921165844-How-to-deploy-Cisco-Secure-Client-via-JAMF-MacOS

3 REPLIES 3

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Try adding a Managed Login Item Configuration Profile. I ran into this. 

I think I did a full uninstall then applied the Profile.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 12.01.29 PM.png

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

It's a bug in all of the 5.1.x.x versions on macOS 14.2 or higher.  The fix is to run these two lines:

cp /opt/cisco/secureclient/bin/Cisco\ Secure\ Client\ -\ AnyConnect\ VPN\ Service.app/Contents/Resources/com.cisco.secureclient.vpnagentd.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/
launchctl bootstrap system /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.cisco.secureclient.vpnagentd.plist

The bug was tracked as CSCwi20597 before it was "closed" with the release of 5.1.1.42.  It still happens on that version and the newer one.  Please make sure to contact Cisco and let them know the bug is still happening.  I've been going in circles with them over it for 2+ months now.

I would not recommend adding this workaround to your post-install script though.  When we did that, we created a significantly worse issue where a popup about the "Interprocess Communications Depot" would get presented every 30 seconds and lock up Finder until it is acknowledged.

As far as I am concerned, Cisco Secure 5.1.x.x is essentially unuseable due to this.  Fixing one bug creates another, and both are showstoppers to deployment.

emmsupport
New Contributor

Try having the user manually run the /opt/cisco/secureclient/bin/Cisco Secure Client - AnyConnect VPN Service.app, we found that the installer often fails to do this as the user, but everything else is usually in place.

We added a separate postinstall script to run this as the user, but for initial testing, just run it manually.