Clustered nodes naming shows old DNS FQDN in Jamf pro

Josman
New Contributor II

Two of our clustered nodes are being shown in our jamf environment with and old DNS entry, I have removed the DNS entries and make sure that the hosts and hostname files show the correct in those nodes and have restarted the vm's and they still show the old names. Is there anywhere I'm missing to make a change? Any suggestions are highly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Josman
New Contributor II

The solution to this was doing a FLUSH HOSTS; command in mysql to flush DNS and all the correct names showed up. Cheers!
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/flush.html

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Those old references could be in your DataBase.xml file. I would check there. I would also check that your previously run MySQL grant commands are still valid and clean those up.

Also check the JSS URL in the JSS itself...I'm guessing you already did that, but it's easily forgotten.

I feel okay saying this to this user as he has went through CJA course. For anyone wondering what I'm talking about, consider taking that course as it is very helpful.

Josman
New Contributor II

@blackholemac The Jamf Pro URL is the same in all 6 web apps. Those two had old DNS entries in our DNS zones which I removed and when I query mysql with SELECT * FROM jss_cluster_nodes; I don't see the child nodes, I can only see the master which I find odd. I checked the web.xml and the server.xml and no dice! I may just end up slaying the VM's and recreating the web apps.

Thanks for taking the time and replying to my post!

Josman
New Contributor II

The solution to this was doing a FLUSH HOSTS; command in mysql to flush DNS and all the correct names showed up. Cheers!
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/flush.html

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

That’s the beauty of a clustered world, spinning up a new or replacement Tomcat instance is fairly trivial. I’m not surprised that dns ended up being the cause. In the Mac realm, DNS is always a wildcard that gets taken for granted. While in class, we used mutual host files, in the real world, we have to account for the luxuries and minor annoyances of DNS