Cocoapod help/ Terminal commands restriction

Merkley
New Contributor III

I have a few classes that would like to start using cocoapods for programming. The problem that I see, is I can install the initial cocoapods, but then the student would need to be able to install the actual pod they need. Which would require Terminal access to run the pod command to get the pod installed. Has anyone dealt with cocoapods on users that don't have access to Terminal? Our students don't have access to Terminal so they can't install the pods they would like.

One idea that I had was to see if I could restrict the commands that a non-admin user could run in Terminal. I've searched for a way to do this, but haven't had any luck in finding a way to limit commands. Specifically, I was hoping to restrict them from using the SSH command to bypass our filter. Has anyone dealt with allowing students access to Terminal? How do you make sure they aren't doing anything malicious on the system, like trying to get the admin password or bypassing the school's filter?

This could be the wrong way to go about it, but it was just one thought I had. If anyone else has better ideas or a better way to handle this I'm all ears.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

MikeMcD
New Contributor II

Did you ever find a solution to this? Our CS classes use cocoapods and we've run into the same issue here.

Merkley
New Contributor III

We never did find a good solution. Our solution was a more open iMac, that students could use Terminal to install everything they needed. So for projects they needed to use Cocoapods on, they had to go to the iMac in the room and use that, they couldn't use their laptops. We only set two iMacs up for the classes that were requesting this.

I also haven't found a solid solution to prevent a user from using Terminal commands like SSH. I'm still researching but I haven't had time to really dig into it.

edullum
Contributor

Has anyone been able to figure this out? I tried adding the CocoaPods commands to a script and put it in self service for the student to execute, but it fails.