Composer 10.50 crashing upon opening

dmote
New Contributor III

I have been using Composer with no issues ever since we started with JAMF back in Jan 2022.

I did have version 10.48 installed and updated a few days ago to 10.50 version of the apps (Composer & Admin), and they have both been working fine all week.

This morning after continuing to work on a project and using Composer all morning, shortly before lunch it crashed.

I got the usual Apple popup for a crash, but then tried to open Composer again. It prompted for my password, saying it was going to install a helper application, started to open but then crashed again. 

I tried rebooting. I tried throwing the apps to Trash and installing version 10.48, still crashes. I tried following this article (https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/composer-will-not-open/m-p/217853) but it didn't help. I will add I didn't have the folder mentioned (/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/) when i first checked. I manually created the folder, copied the com.jamfsoftware.Composer.helper file that I found when exploring the Package Contents for Composer, still didn't help.

Anyone have any other suggestions? This is my Admin mac I use and with all the files I have on it setup I really am trying to avoid having to move everything to a diff mac.

I did call JAMF and submit a ticket but it could be a few days before I hear back and trying to continue with my project.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Did you delete the content of the following folder?

If you need some of those files for projects, move them to a temp folder on your desktop:

/Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Composer/Sources/

Make sure that the trashcan is empty.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JevermannNG
Contributor II

Create a new local Admin Account, try to run Jamf Composer under this Account.

Any success?

dmote
New Contributor III

I did try that just now, no luck.

I also tried doing a OS reinstall, no luck there either.

JevermannNG
Contributor II

Do you work under macOS 14 ? Can you submit a Crash Report?

Empty the trashcan and delete the following file from your Users preference folder:

~/Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.Composer.plist

If that doesnt work, try to run Jamf Composer in "Rosetta 2".

dmote
New Contributor III

No I am on Ventura 14.6 still.

I had found other postings mentioning that plist to delete. no luck there either. 

I did email JAMF support back to see about the following. I have noticed as Composer is initially opening up, it scrolls through all the projects that I would have listed in the left side nav pane and as it gets to the latest one I had been working on last week, that’s when it seems to crash.

Did you delete the content of the following folder?

If you need some of those files for projects, move them to a temp folder on your desktop:

/Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Composer/Sources/

Make sure that the trashcan is empty.

dmote
New Contributor III

Thank you! this worked. I didn't know the folder location but removing the project I was last working on fixed it. I had suspicion that it had gotten corrupted, and finally watching Composer open enough times and seeing it crash right as it was ready in that project made me suspect it even more.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Do you have AntiVirus software running?  If so, maybe try removing it and see if that makes a difference

dmote
New Contributor III

Yes but it was running before without issue. Also, I had a coworker test on their mac using same anti-virus software and Composer worked fine. As you may see I noted to JevermannNG that it was the latest project I was working on had become corrupted. I just didn't know the folder location to find and remove it.