Composer flat package problem

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I'm having problems with composer's flat packages. I've always used regular pkg's in the past, but I'm converting to SMB shares for Casper, so I thought I'd start switching over to DMG and flat packages to simplify replication.
So, my first test flat package was very simple- Firefox 12. I have an existing source for a old-style pkg for Firefox 12 already in Composer, so I clicked the preference to enable building flat pkg's, and had composer generate a new package. Ran it, and the Firefox app installed to /ROOT/Applications instead of /Applications.
So, I created a new firefox package from scratch- dragged firefox from /Applications into the composer window, checked permissions, and built it again . . . same results- the file is installed to /ROOT/Applications.
So, just to make sure I'm not insane, I switched the Composer preference back to building old-school pkgs. Generated Firefox's pkg again with no other changes, and it installs to /Applications as it should.

I ask you, jamfnation- what's the deal with composer and flat pkgs? :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I saw issue myself today. I closed Composer and reopened and it seemed to go away but is a pain.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I recently noticed the same problem. Please report it to Jamf so they can look into it. From the first few hours of Composer 8.52 and the problems I experienced I went back to 8.51

Matt
Valued Contributor

I am having the same issues right now with the /ROOT issue.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I saw issue myself today. I closed Composer and reopened and it seemed to go away but is a pain.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

yep, I'm having the same results as CasperSally- if I quit and re-launch composer after adding the source but before generating the package, then the generated package installs correctly.

@tkimpton: I did report this to casper support, they're working on it.

jake
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Everyone -

Thank you for the feedback. This issue has been addressed in an upcoming release. The defect number to reference in the release notes is D-002856.

Thanks!

myronjoffe
Contributor III

Im having the same issue in 8.52 composer. The workaround CasperSally speaks about does work but what is the solution?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Update to 8.6

myronjoffe
Contributor III

Thanks Jared. No caveats when using 8.6 composer with 8.52 JSS?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There shouldn't be. Composer is essentially a standalone app that has no connection to your JSS. You can use any version that works for you to create your packages. 8.6 does resolve the issue outlined here so go for it. You can always keep the older 8.5.2 version around as well in case you're concerned.