Computer blacking out after enrollment on Sonoma

Drea_HU
New Contributor

This is such a weird thing, and it's likely a glitch of some kind, but I would like to see if there is a workaround or a way to prevent this from happening. 

This happens only on computers with a brand-new install of Sonoma, not any earlier OS versions. Once I connect to the internet and allow enrollment to begin, the computer completely blacks out and cannot be resurrected without a nuke and pave. If it weren't for the touch bar lighting up, the computer looks and acts completely dead.

Whenever I install an earlier OS, it works exactly as it should. Enrollment completes and the user has a fully functional computer. They can then upgrade to Sonoma without issue. It doesn't black out the computer. 

Has anyone else experienced this? The first time it happened, I chalked it up to it being an older computer, and didn't really think much of it or investigate. But it has now happened twice more on brand-new machines. 

7 REPLIES 7

caffine247
New Contributor III

What enrollment process are you using? Pre-Stage?
And if you are using pre-stage are you using Jamf Connect? Or something else?

Yes, Pre-Stage and with Jamf Connect

_gsm
New Contributor III

Are you running Jamf Connect 2.27 or earlier?

Corey_Nechkash
New Contributor III

I'd like to second this suggestion. Jamf Connect 2.27 and earlier would cause screen blackouts. Installing JC v2.28 and higher solved that issue for us.

Thank you! I will look into this and get our Jamf Connect updated- because we are a couple of versions behind. Do you have any best practices to share on how you keep it updated- especially with already deployed computers? Is it really the manual process of redoing the configuration profile each time? I clone the previous one but when I switch the version, it removes all the settings and I have to redo it. 

_gsm
New Contributor III

Jamf Connect is in the Jamf App Catalog as well there are update workflows under Settings > Jamf Apps. You can also utilize Patch Management. Which depends on the needs and policies of your environment. I prefer the Jamf App Catalog now that it has control over the deployed version. You can lock in your version until you're ready to update.

bfrench
Contributor III

We had this occur when we still had the User Initiated Enrollment  Management Account and the Prestage managed Administrator set to the same user name.