Computer hanging on shutdown/restart

roiegat
Contributor III

We have an odd behavior in our environment for some of our machines.  If you try to shutdown/restart using the GUI method - it hangs.  What happens in you see the background and the mouse cursor...and it just stays there.  Screen never goes black and doesn't shutdown/restart.  

So because it's stuck you can still SSH into the machine and run commands.  So I wrote a script to kill processes to try to figure out which process might be hung.  While I didn't figure out which process is causing this I did learn that if you kill the following processes(AppleUserHIDDrivers, IOUserBluetoothSerialDriver, IOUserDockChannelSerial) four times it will kernel panic your machine.  Tweaked the script to avoid processes that will kill the remote session...but it doesn't seem any process I kill causes it to move forward and shutdown/reboot.

Anyone experience anything like this?

3 REPLIES 3

hcodfrie
Contributor

Hallo Rolegat,

We had the same problem, seems like the problem was a xcode finalize script that does slmething with the auth.db file.

So check if that client has Xocde installed if so make a policy with a force restart and the option

Files and Process

mv /var/db/auth.db /var/db/auth.db.

Did you mean to copy it to itself or create a backup of it? Like:
mv /var/db/auth.db /var/db/auth.db.bak

hcodfrie
Contributor

yeah my bad