Computer showing in Jamf as unmanaged

Jenncat
New Contributor III

I'm new to Jamf.  We have 1 computer that went through the prestage enrollement.  I can see the MDM profiles on the device and it states that this mac is supervised and managed but in Jamf it shows as unmanaged, enrolled via automated enrollment =yes, it  has not checked in since the device was wiped. Can someone point me in the right direction.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

so its not enrolled? that would be why its not managed.. 

sudo profiles renew -type enrollment

to re-enroll 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

on the device: 

sudo jamf manage

what happens?

sudo jamf recon

what happens?

Jenncat
New Contributor III

If i type sudo jamf manage i get a prompt for Password:(and key image) but it doesn't allow me to enter a password

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Password entry is masked so you won't see any characters being typed in the Terminal window.

If you are using a Smart Card, password entry may be disallowed and you'll need to authenticate using the token/key.

Jenncat
New Contributor III

after entering the password I get

sudo: jamf: command not found

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

so its not enrolled? that would be why its not managed.. 

sudo profiles renew -type enrollment

to re-enroll 

Jenncat
New Contributor III

Thank you.  This worked.  I appreciate the help.  Just took over jamf administration...

Very helpful! Thank you so much. My only note is that when using this command, you'll be prompted to enter in the account credentials of whatever account was used to enroll the computer originally.

Jenncat
New Contributor III

If i type sudo jamf manage i get a prompt for Password:(and key image) but it doesn't allow me to enter a password

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Was the Mac remote wiped?

Jenncat
New Contributor III

yes from jamf

jtrant
Valued Contributor

It's normal for a device that has been remote wiped to show as 'Unmanaged' in Jamf Pro.

It will change to 'Managed' upon next enrollment.

user-dIrrpGXxza
Contributor

In some cases, you can actually send a mass action command to renew the MDM profile even though that command is unavailable from the management tab for that particular device. That usually triggers a reinstallation of the JAMF framework.

I don't think renewing MDM profile re-installs the Jamf binary. Though that can be done via the Jamf Pro API through the web > jamf-management-framework > put in ID of computer > 'Try It' it will re-install the binary/framework via MDM command.

More info: https://www.modtitan.com/2022/02/jamf-binary-self-heal-with-jamf-api.html

Alternatively, there is a script Jamf can give out that allows you do do that on multiple computers. 

2pam
New Contributor II

I deleted my MAC from manger computer list.  Then tried to enroll via the link.  It shows as unmanaged.  I tried the sudo profiles renew -type enrollment.  Then sudo Jamf manage and sudo Jamf recon.  But still shows as unmanaged.  Any ideas?

2pam
New Contributor II

Resolved.  RemoveMdmProfiles and then renewed and all good