Computers launching restricted apps

apizz
Valued Contributor

Still very new to Casper Suite, but I was looking to restrict apps like the App Store on all our managed computers. I have the App Store process set to be killed, but it doesn't seem to be instantaneous as I was hoping it would be.

It takes a couple seconds to kill the app and if I try to reopen it the app reopens before it closes again after a couple seconds. When we tested this in the Jumpstart it seemed nearly instantaneous.

Any suggestions?

2f6cf187efcf499a90e9d8d9a2f0f97b

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

That is how Restricted Software works. Its not instant. It depends on a short run cycle. Its being managed by a LaunchDaemon that runs approximately every 10-15 seconds. Launchd jobs cannot run any more frequently than that or they get throttled back by the parent launchd process.
So yes, there will typically be a few seconds before it shuts down the offending application. Sometimes if you catch it at the right time it appears close to instant.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

That is how Restricted Software works. Its not instant. It depends on a short run cycle. Its being managed by a LaunchDaemon that runs approximately every 10-15 seconds. Launchd jobs cannot run any more frequently than that or they get throttled back by the parent launchd process.
So yes, there will typically be a few seconds before it shuts down the offending application. Sometimes if you catch it at the right time it appears close to instant.

apizz
Valued Contributor

Gotcha. Thanks @mm2270 !

ZachB
New Contributor

What I do as a redundancy is run a script at check-in, this disables the user from opening it at all.

chown admin /Applications/App Store.app
chmod 744 /Applications/App Store.app