Configuration profile - when it should apply

jameson
Contributor II

I don´t know if there is a simple solution for this, but I cannot see any way

We have a configuration profile that ad a Machine certificate through AD CS. The issue is that when the mac is being enrolled, there in one of the first steps the user needs to pick a country and the mac is then re-named like AU-123456

However, the AD CS certificate has already been distributed to the machine before the machine has been renamed, so the certififcate is called like "admins macbook " etc
Is there a way to stop the AD CS to perform the certificate before the machine has been renamed ? or some kind of workarround to get this working ?

3 REPLIES 3

znilsson
Contributor II

This may not work for you, but I use a script to rename a Mac during provisioning, which occurs after login. I also have a smart group set to look for misnamed Macs that will just rename any badly-named Macs. If you can wait until later in the process to rename the Mac, maybe something like that might work?

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Have the rename process drop a dummy package or some kind of receipt. Then create a smart group based around the presence of that receipt. Then scope the Config profile to that smart group so it only triggers after the rename.

jameson
Contributor II

Thank you very much for input. Was just thinking to much instead just doing the simple smart group stuff :)