Configuration Profiles - Deployment issues

aburrow
Contributor

I've been working on 2 separate Configuration Profiles a User based one and a Computer based one.

The first time I login to the freshly imaged machine the User Config. Profile is installed and can be seen in the Profiles Preference Pane.

The Computer Config. Profile is not being deployed though. Currently I have to go into the Computer Config. Profile, Save it and "Distribute to All".

Is this a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

imperatives
New Contributor III

It is a bug. For some reason Configuration Profiles don't automatically push to Departments (maybe other local static groups as well), but work fine when scoped to Smart Computer Groups.

I would recommend creating a Smart Computer Group that specifies the Department in the location information. JSS > Management > Smart Computer Groups > Create a group > Under Location criteria > Department is (click the ellipsis) drop down, and select the department.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

imperatives
New Contributor III

It is a bug. For some reason Configuration Profiles don't automatically push to Departments (maybe other local static groups as well), but work fine when scoped to Smart Computer Groups.

I would recommend creating a Smart Computer Group that specifies the Department in the location information. JSS > Management > Smart Computer Groups > Create a group > Under Location criteria > Department is (click the ellipsis) drop down, and select the department.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Does this bug still exist ?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@rcorbin

This is still an open defect in the 8 series ( D-003796 ) and is listed as not a 9 issue; it likely will not be fixed for the 8 series, and the fix will be to either use the workaround listed here or to update to version 9 of the JSS.

We have a somewhat similar 9.x defect (D-006900) that exhibits similar behavior, but is not related to being scoped by department. The behavior seen with that defect is that profiles other than the MDM profile do not push out after initial enrollment into the JSS.
That one is set to be fixed in 9.32.

Without taking a look at JAMFSoftwareServer.log and getting a bit more information on the behavior that you're seeing, however, I wouldn’t assume that it’s a defect causing the behavior here. If you’re running into trouble getting configuration profiles pushed out, or you’re seeing behavior different from what’s described above in the 9.x series, I’d recommend contacting your Technical Account Manager and getting a case opened up.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support