Configuring Smart Groups / Cached packages in Waiting Room

bbot
Contributor

I'm working on rolling out Yosemite to the remainder of the users on Mavericks.

I am caching the InstallESD using a smart group that targets Mavericks users, then setting a Self Service policy to install cached. I want to set a smart group that not only looks for Mavericks users, but also looks for the install cached package.

I can't find how to configure this smart group for the life of me.

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Under the All Criteria option (most likely) look for a criteria labeled "Cached Packages" and add that into the Smart Group.
Once its there, if at least one Mac in your JSS has the package cached and has reported in with new inventory since it was cached, you should be able to click the small button next to it and choose the package name from a list.
If nothing has been cached and recon'ed in, you'd need to enter the package name in manually.

Once all that's set, along with any other criteria for the Smart Group, the group membership should populate with Macs that have that specific package in the Waiting Room.

As an additional item, you can look at adding in an Extension Attribute that lists all packages in the Waiting Room folder. I have one posted here on my Github repo. Its not actually necessary to do this, but can give you a 'birds eye' view of all cached packages per computer.

mikehill
New Contributor

Hey Branddobot,

We have just done this in our environment, attached is a screenshot of the smart group we used to activate this install.

944f1cd4f9e84954befad2e148f75af2

As all our users currently had 10.9.4 installed. But you might need to add more of a range if you have different versions of Mavericks in your environment

Cheers,

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Cached Packages criteria in Smart Group will include the machines which failed while caching like network disconnection when running the policy.

We use a script to verify the checksum of cached package in Waiting Room in another policy and error the output in policy. We recache the packages for the failed macs by flushing the history of cache policy.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthikeyan M

bbot
Contributor

Thanks all. I really don't know how I overlooked "cached packages". I was reading up and down the list multiple times...