Confirming 'new' iMac 2013 10.8.3 OS DMG won't work for Macbook Air

nethers
Contributor

Before I start building a second OS configuration, I wanted to confirm that my iMac 2013 10.8.3 DMG will not work for a Macbook Air Configuration. I know that there are some differences, such as the ethernet over USB, etc, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask; we just got our first set of MBAs in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

It should work if you remove the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist and NetworkInterfaces.plist files... then script any network preferences to take place at reboot.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

franton
Valued Contributor III

If you do a straight clone from an iMac to an image then there's a chance of it not working.

If you make a never before booted image with InstaDMG and the "Install OS X Mountain Lion" app, it will work.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

It should work if you remove the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist and NetworkInterfaces.plist files... then script any network preferences to take place at reboot.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

InstaDMG all the way!

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

10.8.3 unified the builds as far as I've seen. Just update both the imac and the MB Air to 10.8.3 and check the build number. If it's the same then you just have to do what Andrew suggested above.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

nethers
Contributor

Thank you for the advice!

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

What Gabe said off the unified nuild, i have imaged iMacs,Macbooks,Macbook Pros and Airs
Go for it

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Unified builds here, after trashing the aforementioned SystemConfiguration plists.