Conflicting login hooks

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

We are getting an error installing Sony's XDCAM PDW-U1 driver software - basically it errors out because there's already an existing login hook.

First, rhetorically, why the frack does this need a login hook. I'll have to install on a clean machine and check the plist. ARGH!

Second, how have others handled situations like this?

At the moment I'm of the mind to rebuild Sony's mpgk and remove the login hook. but I'm not exactly sure (yet) what their damn login hook is trying to do. I'm guessing it maybe starts the XDCAM monitoring process or something that could/should be done a different way.

Sony isn't the most responsive of developers (their SxS drivers were last updated for 10.9, and obviously don't work in 10.11 due to SIP). So I've little hope that they'll jump right on our issue.

1 REPLY 1

PeterClarke
Contributor II

A nuisance, but it should not be too difficult to deal with..

On a test machine: Make a note of what login hook you already have..

Remove existing login hook
Install the Sony software - let it create it's own login hook.
Test that the sony thing actually works..

Now inspect the login hook, find out what it's launching.
and if it's passing any parameters at all ? Maybe UserID, thats $1 in a login hook.

A loginhook, is usually used to launch some script at user login (hence why it's called a login hook)

It should be possible to replace that with a LaunchAgent - just launching the same thing.
Test that out. If you get that working.

Then restore your original login hook...

An alternative process would be to launch their (sony) thing, from YOUR login hook.
So that your login hook effectivly says:

do their stuff

do my stuff

( or other way around )

-- Let us know if any of that worked.. (or not..)