Count of each Mac model

macbrun
New Contributor III

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to get a report that shows the quantity of each Mac model listed in JSS? For example, "iMac Intel (27-inch, Late 2013) | 89", etc.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

jennifer
Contributor

You could create smart groups for each of the models you own. The criteria would be 'Model is x'. And if you click on the button next to the text box (with three dots), it should pop up a list of all the models you have in your JSS already.

Edit: This won't create a report thats ready to print out, but it will have the name of the group and the count of machines listed with all your smart groups. I label mine 'Model - iMac Late 2013' so that when they are sorted all of the entries for individual models line up. Then copy and paste into a spreadsheet. Its not perfect, but it is pretty easy.

macbrun
New Contributor III

Thanks, that would work but I'm being lazy. I need a report like that monthly and exporting to a CSV or similar would be a lot more convenient.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Create saved searches for each model you would like to report on, using the same criteria mentioned above for the Smart Groups. When you save the search, make sure to set the default output to csv. Then once a month, click them and it will generate a report and save to a file.

Unfortunately, you'll need to create separate saved searches for each model, as I don't think there's a way to do it one search (a count of models I mean). Though you could make it one report and then sort in Excel by the model information, as long as you specify that as one of the columns of data to display.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm mistaken about being able to specify how the report gets generated. JAMF unfortunately did not bring that feature over from the 8 series, which was very useful. You can save searches, but you need to go through the manual step it seems of exporting to CSV. Not sure why they did that. Way too much clicking in the new UI for my taste, That would have saved you a little time, but alas...

jennifer
Contributor

@macbrun Ok. How about this:

Create and save an advanced search with no criteria. Under 'Display' uncheck everything except for Model Name.

When you're ready for the report, click on it, scroll to the bottom for the export option. Create a CSV, open in Numbers or Excel, and add in a 'Count' or 'Sort' function to the spreadsheet. So it will count the number of times iMac xxx is on the list and produce the number.

You can probably find a table or graph option that already does that. If so, you select the data, click on the graph and the program creates it for you. Then save.

macbrun
New Contributor III

I like it, that'll work for now. I'll put this in as a feature request. Maybe we'll see an actual count function in v10. Or 11. Or 20. :)

Thanks!

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

There's already some work they could draw on to do this in the licensed software components; those reports can tell you what versions are out there and counts for each one. Baked-in searches like this would be nice, considering the workaround is a saved search for each model you care to track.

That being said, I'm curious what the real-world need is for this particular query.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

munkiadmin w/munki is great for this. the layout is pretty intuitive and an access account could be setup for managers/decision makers to get info