Creating a report of all local user accounts within a department

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

I've been using Casper for about a month now and we are gearing up for getting all our user's with local user accounts converted to AD. I can see all of the local accounts in details on each machine, but i can't figure out how to report on it.

I need to generate a report with all of the local user accounts assigned to machines within a designated department , but i'm not seeing a way to do this thru Casper.

Any advice would be appreciated

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Regular inventory reports won't do this for you, but you can do it by creating an Extension Attribute to collect the users on the system, and then building a report that includes that EA field in your report.. There are a bunch of threads here on how to gather user accounts in a shell script, depending on whether you're talking about local only or AD based accounts etc.
I'll see if I can dig up some of those threads and post them here rather than retype it all.

Edit: Here's one of the threads-
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3736

tomt
Valued Contributor

While I know this can be done through Extension Attributes and Scripts I really think Jamf should add it to their Inventory Collection and Advanced Search options. The accounts are already being tracked why not make them easily available?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

To be clear, you can create an Advanced Search on local accounts right now and have been able to for ages. What you can't do is show them in the Display Fields columns. So, I can build a query to pull up any Mac with an account called "admin" on it and it will do it. I just can't force a column called "User accounts" or whatever that would show that admin account.
It seems in looking a little closer, anything in the Receipts Info section is not something we can display in a report. I'm not sure if there is some technical reason behind this, but local user accounts is considered a "receipt" and that's why you can't display it.

tomt
Valued Contributor

I have no idea how I missed (or just forgot about) the search criteria for Local Users all this time. Maybe because it was in the Receipts section. Thanks for encouraging me to look through all the available criteria again. It's been a while since I went through everything just to see what's there.

tomt
Valued Contributor

Wow, it's been SEVEN YEARS since I posted in this thread and yet we still can't generate a simple report with a list of local user accounts.

eric-p
New Contributor II

ELEVEN years later, and there is still not reporting option for this.