Creating Printer Package

oopsydaisy
New Contributor III

My company only has use of Composer at this time. I use it to make software packages and it's great. We are about to start rolling out 10.7, but I want there to be a base image without printers because we have multiple locations we support. What I'd like is to create a package for each location, based on the printers they will need. I'd like to install the drivers and add the printers and have Composer make a package from that. I've tried the normal snapshot as well as the FSEvents method, but neither one adds the printer queues in System Prefs(the drivers get installed). I even took out /etc/cups/printers.conf from the exclusion list, but still no go. What am I missing? Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

oopsydaisy
New Contributor III

Apparently, this is now working with /etc/cups/printers.conf taken out of the exclusion list. Not sure why it didn't work before, but glad it's working now

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

oopsydaisy
New Contributor III

Apparently, this is now working with /etc/cups/printers.conf taken out of the exclusion list. Not sure why it didn't work before, but glad it's working now

msemertzides
New Contributor II

Did this cause any other issues for you? Do you know why it would be on the exclusion list?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Likely because "snapshots" won't help you if changes are made to existing files. If you take a snapshot of a printer installation, it would grab /etc/cups/printers.conf file. So you put that in your package and BAM!!! you've just whacked all the other printers installed on the Mac.

Snapshots ? a good way to deploy software (sorry Composer, not a fan).

If the printer vendor provides a proper PKG/MPKG for the drivers, wrap it along with a postflight script that uses lpadmin to add the printer and configure it as required.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jared_f
Valued Contributor

I am not sure if this thread is active anymore but, I thought I would give it a try. I have composer (not the casper suite) and was wondering how to make printer packages. I am very technical I just really don't do anything on this side. Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide or a resource?

Thanks for the help,
Jared :)