Creating separate packages for iLife 09 apps

Not applicable

Has anyone created separate packages for the ilife apps ? I see composer has diffs for iDVD, iWeb, Garageband, iPhoto, but wheres iMovie ?

I preferably need a package for just iMovie?

Jason Kong

3 REPLIES 3

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I did this and chopped it up in this fashion. I took snap shots of the complete install and them modified the final package by converting the source to read/wirte in composer. I create a package called iLife required. In this package I put in all the files that are needed to run iLife that are not the apps them self. I assumed that some of the apps perhaps share library files so I put all of them in one package. Then I saved each inidividual app as the app itself. So, I had iLife_required.dmg, then I had Garageband.dmg, iWeb.dmg, and so forth that were all separate composer packages.

In the end though, none of my users only wanted 1 or 2 iLife app, they wanted the whole thing so I packaged iLife 09 as a single install.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Have you thought about pulling the pkg's out and doing the installs that way? I've thought about it but haven't tried it yet. We have one monolithic install of '09. We had chopped up the apps previously.

I had sent a feature request in some time ago (which I'm happy to repeat here) to have a selection screen for the iApps much like you do for Adobe Installs. It would mount the iLife DVD and install what I have set, so I can have an 'install everything' profile, a 'install iMovie and iDVD' profile, etc.

John

--
John Wetter
Technical Services Manager
Educational Technology, Media & Information Services
Hopkins Public Schools
952-988-5373<livecall:952-988-5373>

Not applicable

I agree on everyone usually wanting all instead of one or a few, but we have a lot of different machines and each iLife app has its own set of minimum system requirements. So I ended up splitting them and deploying the individual apps with the required package based on the system requirements for each app. I deploy all of them at imaging and they get scoped out based upon what machine and OS image is being deployed.

Regards,

![external image link](attachments/bda7bab0e03b4aa88a252dbfb745251a)