Cron Not Running??

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Recently did a clean install of El Capitan on some student computers. Previously running Yosemite. I have a cron job set to run a perl script which deletes user accounts. This same cronjob which previously ran in Yosemite (so did the script), is not running in El Capitan. This cronjob and script are on all the computers locally.

Details:

50 03 * * 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 /var/root/homeDelete.pl

Script

#!/usr/bin/perl

$DEBUG = 0;

$homeDir = "/Users";
@ignores = (".","..",".DS_Store",".localized","Guest","Shared","macadmin","profile","root","Lab");

opendir (DIR, $homeDir) or die $!;
while (readdir(DIR)){
        $delete = 0;
        foreach $ignore (@ignores){
                if ($_ eq $ignore){
                        $delete = 1;
                }
        }
        if (!$delete){
                $fullPathToDelete = "$homeDir/$_";
                if($DEBUG){
                        print "`/bin/rm -Rf $fullPathToDelete`
";
                }
                else{
                        `/bin/rm -Rf $fullPathToDelete`;;

Could SIP be the reason my script and/or cron are not running? I'm at a loss why it isn't running each morning.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't think a logout script would work with the purpose of deleting user accounts since the script runs while the account is technically still being used. And based on your script it looks like it doesn't actually delete accounts, just the home folders, right? If you want a similar process to your cron job that deletes accounts at the end of the day - as long as the computer is powered on, then I'd really suggest using launchd since a user doesn't have to be logged in for it to run. If you're a launchd virgin (like I used to be), you can use a great program called LaunchControl to help you.

However the big gotcha that trumps it all might be SIP in El Capitan preventing you from just deleting the contents of /users/. If that's the case, then your best bet would be to use launchd to run a different script that deletes the actual accounts via dscl.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MAD0oM
Contributor

Most likely the cause..SIP locks down the /usr/bin directory and can cause your script to not run regardless of permissions...

I would turn off SIP

Boot into Recovery mode
go into terminal and run this command: csrutil disable
Reboot

@mtiffany

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I've been hearing that cron has been deprecated in OSX for many years because launchd is the way of the future. Setting up a LaunchAgent might be the way for you to move forward.

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Hmmm...
Rethinking this I'm trying to see if my jss will push it as a logout script. I setup a Policy with logout checked and Make Available Offline checked. Then I added my script to the scripts on the jss and added it to this policy. Next I added my test computer to the policy. This is not resulting in any changes either. It's as though the script is not running. On the JSS I have login hooks enabled and on the test computer I have SIP turned off.

Any thoughts??

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't think a logout script would work with the purpose of deleting user accounts since the script runs while the account is technically still being used. And based on your script it looks like it doesn't actually delete accounts, just the home folders, right? If you want a similar process to your cron job that deletes accounts at the end of the day - as long as the computer is powered on, then I'd really suggest using launchd since a user doesn't have to be logged in for it to run. If you're a launchd virgin (like I used to be), you can use a great program called LaunchControl to help you.

However the big gotcha that trumps it all might be SIP in El Capitan preventing you from just deleting the contents of /users/. If that's the case, then your best bet would be to use launchd to run a different script that deletes the actual accounts via dscl.

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Awww you're right, the account is still active when trying to delete it. Don't know why that didn't occur to me. Thanks @AVmcclint!!!

I am a launchd virgin and will check out LaunchControl. And start reading up on launchd.

Thanks!

mtiffany
New Contributor III

@AVmcclint Thanks for the tip, I've got it working now with the launchd. Thanks very much!

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I'm glad I could help.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Look into the sysadminctl command which is available in 10.10+ and allows you to delete user accounts.