CS4 deployment when it comes on 2 DVDs

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

So, the CS4 suite I have is two DVDs and some apps are on the second DVD. Do I have to make separate images and separate installers for these DVDs, or should I combine them into one image?

help?

Capturing preinsalled from composer 7 keeps spitting out errors

thanks

tom

9 REPLIES 9

ernstcs
Contributor III

Tom,

It should be possible to combine your disks into a single image to place into the JSS. It appears to be hit and miss sometimes based on who tries. =)

I don't have any documentation handy at this time, and the knowledge base isn't cooperating for me right now, but email support and ask if they have any documentation on making a single disk image the JSS can read of your suite, I believe they do.

Craig E

Bukira
Contributor

I have each one on a diff disc so I made a diff installer on each, for you wouldn't it best best to make a new DVD image for of both CDs like jamf advise for cs3 ?

Thats what I did for cs3 master collection

Not applicable

We used composer.. we did like any other package instead of doing it via adobe install through casper admin. Nick was at our location from Jamf, and this was the best solution. It works great, minus that we have to load Photoshop and tell it to never register and also Acrobat Pro still self heals.

Kathie Iorizzo
Lower School Technician
The Latin School of Chicago
kiorizzo at latinschool.org

Not applicable

I've had success with Adobe CS4 Master Collection (4 DVDs) using the JAMF recommended combine DVDs and install. However, I couldn't get Adobe CS4 Design Preimium (2 DVDs) to work. Not sure why, but I'll get back to it later. CS3 Design Premium works great, too. strange.

In terms of the annoying Acrobat Self-heal, I'm going to try this technique for this site next week and see if that helps. http://itmac.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/adobe-acrobat-admin-password-self-heal-problems/

BTW: I do really enjoy reading and learn from all the posts even if I don't reply or add to the conversations. Thank you all.

Nathaniel Lindley

++++++++++
Information Technology
Saint Paul Public Schools
Saint Paul, Minnesota
nathaniel.lindley at spps.org
phone: 651-248-6861

ernstcs
Contributor III

I actually just had success on my whole install CS4 Design and Web from a Master Collection image at Casper Imaging time (should work for self service now too) and have a string of policies that install the patches, other fixes and user settings, launches photoshop to clean up the licensing database, and then installs the pdf9 printer after FirstRun finishes. As far as I can tell Acrobat Pro is not prompting for admin and doesn't ask me to launch photoshop. I haven't broken self healing either, although tempting. =)

It's quite a complicated little process (similar to my CS3 one) and has one little issue, a hanging reboot after FirstRun (neverending spinning gear), but I can deal with that when it happens...seems to be aluminum iMacs that do it only, really weird. Restarting the system continues the process just fine, but really sucks when you are trying to do updates remotely.

I can put together a document with some of the packs and scripts to make it work if people are interested, but it may take me a little bit to get it done with other things I need to do before classes start up here.

Craig E

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I just got off the phone with Adobe support and it was very painful. They out source their tech support to India. After I realized tech support was not the right number I got transferred to volume license support. All Adobe products are available for electronic download, but only if you pay for the service...which is retarded. So I am contacting my Adobe sales rep and seeing if they can just give that to us, since we own 6 volume site licenses to CS4 Design Premium, I am sure they can just give me the ability to download the file. When you download it, it comes in one giant image file.

I don't want to fuss with DVDs.

If I get that one image file I should be good to go. Anyone who deploys Adobe products should just pay the fee to get them electronically, I mean after all who even wants DVDs of apps these days? I guess the fee is like $20 or something nominal, but it should be included in my opinion.

-tom

ernstcs
Contributor III

Yeah, I would be lost without my downloaded image of Master Collection.

Power to the people! Complain to your Adobe rep for electronic downloads of single DMG images!

Craig E

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Update for you all:

After three phone calls to Abode support, 1 call to our CDW rep, and one conference call with our CDW rep and with our regional Adobe rep, I was finally able to get the information to purchase the on line download license.

So, now I am just waiting for my log in credentials to be sent to me and I should be able to download CS4 Design Premium in one giant image file. I think the cost is between 20 and 30 dollars, and probably way worth it.

FYI

Tom

ernstcs
Contributor III

I guarantee it is

Craig Ernst
UW-Eau Claire
(715) 836-3639

Sent from my iPhone