Data disappearing from Mac desktop folder.

Salmonsme
New Contributor

I have a persistent problem (despite many drive erasing, macOS 10.12 reinstalls etc., now on Sierra) that continues to frustrate me.
Having earlier been corrected in my having suggested the existence of possible macOS malware etc., I was strongly reassured that none such exists. I wonder if anyone knows what the reasons why data disappeared suddenly from my Mac desktop folder. I run ClamX (a Mac antivirus scanner program) in the background, but could not be able to find any. Can anyone suggest me how to get rid of this problem and retrieve the missing files on Mac?

4 REPLIES 4

epomelow
New Contributor III

Is there a possibility that you have iCloud synced to more than one device, and someone else is clearing the desktop folder? Or is there a policy running on your machine that inadvertently cleans your desktop folder as a 'files and folder' task?

Salmonsme
New Contributor

Hi epomelow
I figured the problem. It was this app called MacKeeper that was running in the background without my knowledge. I had to do a fresh re-install of my macOS and it has gone completely. A friend who works in a IT suggested me download Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery software. It costs me $99 but did the job. I learned a great lesson. I am sharing those references:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3691
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@Salmonsme It's not clear if you're a Mac user that posted looking for help with their personal machine, or you represent an organization managing multiple Macs with Jamf Pro. If the latter, do yourself a favor and create a Restricted Software policy scoped to All Managed Clients that blocks any process named MacKeeper*

Look
Valued Contributor III

@Salmonsme Glad you sorted it. Contrary to what you have been told MacOS malware does indeed exist, it's just pretty rare, MacKeeper is by far the most common one although there are a few others floating around out there.
I still find it annoying that most MacOS antivirus products aren't specifically configured to find MacKeeper given the number of people that get scammed / caught by it.