Delete/Hide default applications in Mac device

Kalpeshw
New Contributor III

I have a requirement were wanted to hide or uninstall below MacOS default application i.e. (Freeform, Mail, Messages, Music, TV, Stocks, Chess)

Is there any way I can achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

It's not SIP protecting standard apps these days, it's that they're located on the signed system volume (https://support.apple.com/guide/security/signed-system-volume-security-secd698747c9/web) which can't be modified even if SIP were disabled.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

No. They are baked into the OS. 

obi-k
Valued Contributor III

Would using Jamf to restrict the apps from opening work?

Once someone opens it, you can prompt a message, and then Jamf will notify you who or which Mac opened one of these apps.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

What @jamf-42 and @obi-k said. You _can_ remove the icons for those apps from the Dock using the Dock management capabilities of Jamf Pro, or with dockutil if you prefer the scripted approach to managing Dock items. That does nothing to prevent them from being run, but at least they'd be somewhat less visible.

Kalpeshw
New Contributor III

Yes I have removed the items from dock. This functionality is working fine. Also blocked applications as when user try to access it shows custom msg. I was mainly looking for uninstall default application which I guess it not possible in Mac.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Many of your preinstalled Applications are SIP protected, which means you cannot rename (hide), move or delete them. You can remove them from the Dock with a policy, and you can create a software restriction to force close them with a message when a user attempts to launch the app. For the non-SIP protected applications such as iWork, you can just delete them. 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

It's not SIP protecting standard apps these days, it's that they're located on the signed system volume (https://support.apple.com/guide/security/signed-system-volume-security-secd698747c9/web) which can't be modified even if SIP were disabled.