DEP and Apple Redirects

MikeF
Contributor II

So we have been working with our network team here to try and get DEP working. I have found every document that i can that pretty much tell me that we need to open every thing up to the 17.X address range. We are able to run all apple process we want and all work fine until we get to DEP.

What we are finding is that the MacBook will contact apple and then apple redirects the machine out to a address out in the 23. IP range. This seems to be going out to akamai. our network team has this blocked. As I can not seem to locate any information on where apple redirects traffic to I was wondering how others are handling this issue. We really want to start using DEP but seems to get stuck in the process at retrieving activation record.

Has any one else run into the redirect issue?

7 REPLIES 7

walt
Contributor III

Since some of the IP addresses change or redirect, adding hostnames to the whitelist as well may help .apple.com or push.apple.com (.push.apple.com), etc. I believe there was an article (cant seem to locate it) that had a list of IPs + Hostnames

Rememberfarley
New Contributor III

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203609

Rememberfarley
New Contributor III

[https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203609](link URL)

MikeF
Contributor II

We have set up using those ports. The problem is apple is redirecting from the Apple IP to the 23. block of Ips. Which is not identified as an apple IP and our firewall is blocking the IP.

Im am also told by my network team they did white list the names.

mrheathjones
New Contributor III

We ran into this exact issue where we opened up all of the 17.0.0.0 block and still got blocked with DEP due to Apple redirecting to Akamai 22.X/23.X. Our network team upgraded the firewall appliances which allowed for DNS exceptions in addition to IP range. Once they opened up *.apple.com all of our DEP issues went away.

MikeF
Contributor II

Thanks

Thats what I am looking for as my network team does know what they need to do. This will let me give them a direction to go.

mrheathjones
New Contributor III

@MikeF We run Checkpoint FW appliances code version R80...if that helps