DEP APP Deployment Issues

sstone
New Contributor II

We are having issues with the deployment of Apps to our users. The assignment of the apps is showing up, but the actual download process on the ipads is VERY delayed or may not happen at all. This happens whether we have the ipads on the school network or on home networks.

We have 680 devices in this prestage group. We are only turning on a handful of devices at a time but we are pushing a large numbers of apps (21) to these ipads.

I am desperately needing some direction on how to get these apps loaded and rolled out.

2 REPLIES 2

stoneacheck
New Contributor III

We're having the same issue. We're still on 9.32, thinking about upgrading today.

We have roughly 1200 users that should be scoped similar number of apps (19), we had 820 licenses to the paid ones initially, which took over a week to fill out in the JSS. The JSS is now reporting that all those licenses are in use, but many students who have been "assigned" those apps according to the JSS do not have them in purchase history. We also bought 450 more licenses for padding and those have yet to appear as available in the JSS despite being listed as "managed purchases" in Apple's account history on VPP site.

In testing over the summer, enrolling a few devices it maybe took 5-10 minutes at most to see those apps appear in history, but apparently throw all those users and app assignments at once and something hit a hiccup.

Hoping 9.4 helps. Apple also suggested re-importing the VPP token, but I don't get what was wrong with the other token if some people were starting to get apps.

If it helps, our apps are assigned by IDing a user based on email address, as our students have a subdomain in their email so I can easily scope them to get a specific set (we didn't have AD groups in place before the scoping took place), and I have two app assignments, one with free apps (12 checked off) and one with paid (7 checked off).

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Hi there,

Have you folks found a fix for this? My org decided to use Airwatch for their MDM needs instead of Casper, but we are having this same exact issue.

What we found is that the DEP devices are missing a handshake between the MDM and Apple -- particular with new Apple IDs for students under 13.