DEP problems "a profile containing an MDM payload must be removable"

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I've been playing with DEP and a teacher ipad with an icloud backup. I could not get the backup to restore and have the ipad in DEP so I gave up on that thought and went to restore it and reenroll manually though the jss enroll site, but now I continue to get the above message. I have wiped this ipad at least 7 times, it has no current profiles installed and now I cannot get it back onto management no matter what I do. The teacher does require the backup to continue with her work.
Any ideas?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktoth
New Contributor

Deleting the device from the JSS and then reenrolling it worked for me!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

In your JSS, what profiles do you have? Sounds like something in your JSS is trying to push with a certain policy that is giving you an error.

Lewandowski
New Contributor III

First and foremost, are you using the DEP to try and supervise the iPad?
Apple actually has an intended fail safe -- If a backup is created on an unsupervised iPad, if that iPad become supervised by any means (in this case the DEP/Pre-stage enrollment), restoring the backup to the same iPad it will remove the supervision. When you restore the backup to the same iPad, we've seen no sign that it registers the Pre-stage enrollment. Again, this is an intended "feature" by Apple due apparently to some litigation.

The error you're seeing may be a result of a pre-stage enrollment and the fact that the iPad would be unsupervised when the teacher's backup is restored. I would try removing the iPad from the pre-stage enrollment scope and then using the enrollment site to try and remove it (especially if you had checked the "Disallow MDM Profile removal button" in that pre-stage enrollment.

kevinrennie
New Contributor

Hi,

Reading the above posts I have checked and the device is already removed from DEP but we still receive the error stating the profile must be removeable.

Can somebody please advise?

Thanks
Kevin

kevinrennie
New Contributor

Can anybody please confirm if there is a fix for this as I have the same issue after rebuilding an ipad that was on DEP from backup.

Device is no longer on DEP and i have set all config profiles to be removable and the issue persists.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

mblair
New Contributor III

Delete the Record from the JSS to re-enroll the iPad.

jcorderojr
New Contributor

Same problem here

ktoth
New Contributor

Deleting the device from the JSS and then reenrolling it worked for me!

anudeepreddy
New Contributor II

ktoth's advice worked for me