Deploy Mac 10.13.6 with Active Directory Integration

mr_genie_17
New Contributor

So I'm new on this platform and relatively new as a Mac Administrator. I work in a Mac environment with 10.9.5 macs deployed with DeployStudio. I have been asked to upgrade all Macs to 10.13.6 with Active Directory integration. I would like to know the best solution to use and if I can avoid a paid one. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

wesleya
Contributor

Probably the best you'll be able to do is upgrade and bind these computers. Both can be done using scripts, so it wouldn't be too hard to automate. Here's a link to the upgrade process:

Streamlining your macOS upgrade process

Here's a link on using Directory Utility and dsconfigad:

Directory Utility: Configure domain access

If you haven't heard already, imaging is a nightmare with High Sierra. I would advise strongly against even trying. If you have ARD though and not too many Macs, this seems doable to me. Even more doable if you have Jamf.

boberito
Valued Contributor

I'd also check the compatibility of High Sierra(10.13) with those machines. If they're running 10.9, it's possible they don't even support High Sierra(10.13). And I don't know what applications you're using, but with such a jump you could be running into some compatibility issues.

The best solution(depending on the number), download the High Sierra installer from the Mac App Store, create a bootable USB recovery drive, plug it in and format and install. Once you get them to a working desktop, you could write a bash script to do configurations you want.

wesleya
Contributor

Good point. Definitely test with your apps and hardware, but quite a lot of hardware does support High Sierra:

macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications