Deploying new iLife and iWork apps

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Wondering if anyone has spent time yet looking at how to deploy the new versions of iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, Keynote, Pages and Numbers.

Using the known method of pausing the App Store download and creating a hard link, I was able to capture pkg installers for iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband. Unfortunately, only iPhoto and iMovie seem to work. Garageband claims it is broken when you try and launch it.

46 REPLIES 46

adhuston
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I've been using this method for a long time and haven't had any issues. I've been able to keep updates from showing in the AppStore by using the dummy receipt method. Today, though, after upgrading a couple machines to 10.11.5, it appears that the dummy receipts are no longer been honored by the AppStore and I'm getting iLife and iWork updates showing even though I'm up to date on all those apps. Just wanted to see if anyone else is noticing this behavior, and if you have a work around?

Thanks,
Andy

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

No answer as of yet but I am worried that Apple may have implemented receipt checking on their apps...can you verify if the launch after 10.11.5?

adhuston
Contributor

@blackholemac Yep, they seem to stick around even after launch. I'm worried that they may have changed it as well.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

We've seen this for a while now, and I tend to prefer this behavior. The reason why we use the 'Dummy Receipt' method is so that we can quickly re-distribute these applications to imaged BYOD computers, without converting the users own apps to OUR VPP account. Instead, we make all iLife/iWork updates available via Self-Service, yet encourage users to re-associate their Apps with their own AppleIDs by updating via the MAS.

CapU
Contributor III

I captured the installers from the app store then I turned off the Updates in the app store.
My users get all bent out of shape and start calling Service Desk to "to do the updates" when they see updates are available.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I'm also seeing this change with 10.11.5. It's probably time to get managed VPP licenses for these apps and start using device based assignments.

For those that don't know, device based licensing didn't exist until OS X El Capitan.

plawrence
Contributor II

@blackholemac I had a 10.11.3 machine with dummy receipts for iLife and iWork, confirmed they dont show in the App Store Updates tab, then I updated that machine to 10.11.5 and the apps have re-appeared in the Updates tab. Re-ran the script to put in the dummy receipts, but the iLife and iWork apps are still visible in the Updates tab.

Definitely looks like something has changed in 10.11.5