Device-based VPP assignment with multiple accounts

craig_arnold
New Contributor

I'm hoping this is a fairly simple problem and I'm just missing the clue.

Let's say I want to install an app on a smart group of 40 iPads, and (because of office politics) I have 15 copies of the app purchased through VPP account A and 25 copies purchased through VPP account B.

So my question is this: is there a way to use device-based assignment for one app purchased by multiple VPP accounts? The drop-down menu for VPP Account to use to assign content doesn't seem to suggest that it's possible.

5 REPLIES 5

petedogg
New Contributor II

I do not believe it is, you would need to create multiple app assignments for each VPP account and scope them to the iPads you want.

bumbletech
Contributor III

There's a feature request for this: https://support.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=5125

craig_arnold
New Contributor

If I were to create a second app assignment for account B and scope it to the same 40 iPads, would it be smart enough to not use a license twice on the iPads that already have the app? Or do I have to determine which ones need it manually?

bumbletech
Contributor III

I haven't tested it out that way, but I'd recommend separating your distribution groups to keep things tidy. It seems likely that you, at the very least, would end up with a device taking up two licenses for the same app.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@craig.arnold If you test that please post your results!

I have two VPP tokens to deal with but one has much fewer app counts. I created an Extension Attribute that I can set to Yes, which adds the device to a Smart Group, which is the scope of the second app with the second VPP. This would be tough to manage for large pools of licenses.