DFU Mode Usb Hub

TryingEverythi
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone, 

I like to ask if anyone uses the USB hub to restore multiple Apple Silicon Macs (like 5-7) using AC2. 

If you do which brand hub and specific cable? 

We already using Cambro Nix Thunder Sync 16 for iPad.

Also, I can use the DFU blaster to put the Apple silicon Mac in DFU mode instantly one by one. just wondering if there is a faster way to do this. 

Thank you in advance for all the responses

4 REPLIES 4

efil4xiN
Contributor II

Might want to check out #twocanoes on macadmins slack or their website  if you have not already

I already check that out. MDS is license-based now. And the USB usb from them is configurated with MDS license. 

mstydel
Contributor

Cambrionix ThunderSync is what was recommended to us by Apple to use with Apple Silicon Macs, however so far we've just taken a dozen or 15 or so M1 machines from our inventory with just a local user account created is all and installed Configurator 2 and DFU Blaster on one, performed a single DFU wipe, then AirDropped and placed in the correct locations the Configurator and DFU Blaster apps and the ipsw download from the first machine to the rest so the first run doesn't take so long on them.

So far we haven't had need for a USB hub, by the time you get the last machine out, plugged in, opened, DFU'd, and restoring you're likely almost finishing at the beginning and ready to start swapping for the next machine.  If we didn't have the availability of extra devices to run Configurator on or needed to do restore many at once vs systematically down a table of machines I could see the benefit in running a hub.  Also the hub would have the benefit of charging the devices, too.

You would be able to use your ThunderSync 16 with Macs if you had USB A to C cables, wouldn't you?  With the cost of the hubs being what it is, using your existing 16 and getting some extra sync cables would probably be the cheapest option.

we do about 400-500 laptops at the end of the year. I try to do it with the USB A to C cables or adapter. but nothing will work. I ordered more different cables and adapters to test. I am just asking for any other options in the market.

But Thank you for you detailed process you doing.