Diagnostics and "Setting up mac" for first user

CCNapier
Contributor

On imaging my test machine, I receive ONLY the "Send diagnostics" box and then the "Setting up your Mac" box when logging in for the first time.

However, Casper already sets this as part of imaging deployment script (see, at least, the diagnostic bit below).

Any idea why this is happening?

#!/bin/sh
#Script Snip. There is a lot more code doing other things, such as disabling AppleID etc.

# Disable diagnostics at login
if [ $osvers -ge 10 ]; then
  CRASHREPORTER_SUPPORT="/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter"
  CRASHREPORTER_DIAG_PLIST="${CRASHREPORTER_SUPPORT}/DiagnosticMessagesHistory.plist"

if [ ! -d "${CRASHREPORTER_SUPPORT}" ]; then
    mkdir "${CRASHREPORTER_SUPPORT}"
    chmod 775 "${CRASHREPORTER_SUPPORT}"
    chown root:admin "${CRASHREPORTER_SUPPORT}"
  fi

for key in AutoSubmit AutoSubmitVersion ThirdPartyDataSubmit ThirdPartyDataSubmitVersion; do
    $PlistBuddy -c "Delete :$key" "${CRASHREPORTER_DIAG_PLIST}" 2> /dev/null
  done

$PlistBuddy -c "Add :AutoSubmit bool ${SUBMIT_TO_APPLE}" "${CRASHREPORTER_DIAG_PLIST}"
  $PlistBuddy -c "Add :AutoSubmitVersion integer 4" "${CRASHREPORTER_DIAG_PLIST}"
  $PlistBuddy -c "Add :ThirdPartyDataSubmit bool ${SUBMIT_TO_APP_DEVELOPERS}" "${CRASHREPORTER_DIAG_PLIST}"
  $PlistBuddy -c "Add :ThirdPartyDataSubmitVersion integer 4" "${CRASHREPORTER_DIAG_PLIST}"
fi

Running 10.10.5 just now.

3 REPLIES 3

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

I think plistbuddy is setting the values for the user that is running the script (root), but not for other users that log in to the machine.

I use a portion of Rich Trouton's first run script to make this change to the user template and existing users, that portion is below. Full script here: rtrouton/rtrouton_scripts

# Checks first to see if the Mac is running 10.7.0 or higher. 
# If so, the script checks the system default user template
# for the presence of the Library/Preferences directory.
#
# If the directory is not found, it is created and then the
# iCloud and Diagnostic pop-up settings are set to be disabled.

if [[ ${osvers} -ge 7 ]]; then

for USER_TEMPLATE in "/System/Library/User Template"/*
  do
    /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant DidSeeCloudSetup -bool TRUE
    /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant GestureMovieSeen none
    /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant LastSeenCloudProductVersion "${sw_vers}"
    /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_TEMPLATE}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant LastSeenBuddyBuildVersion "${sw_build}"
  done

# Checks first to see if the Mac is running 10.7.0 or higher.
 # If so, the script checks the existing user folders in /Users
 # for the presence of the Library/Preferences directory.
 #
 # If the directory is not found, it is created and then the
 # iCloud and Diagnostic pop-up settings are set to be disabled.

for USER_HOME in /Users/*
  do
    USER_UID=`basename "${USER_HOME}"`
    if [ ! "${USER_UID}" = "Shared" ] 
    then 
      if [ ! -d "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences ]
      then
        mkdir -p "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences
        chown "${USER_UID}" "${USER_HOME}"/Library
        chown "${USER_UID}" "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences
      fi
      if [ -d "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences ]
      then
        /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant DidSeeCloudSetup -bool TRUE
        /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant GestureMovieSeen none
        /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant LastSeenCloudProductVersion "${sw_vers}"
        /usr/bin/defaults write "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant LastSeenBuddyBuildVersion "${sw_build}"
        chown "${USER_UID}" "${USER_HOME}"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant.plist
      fi
    fi
  done
fi

CCNapier
Contributor

@Josh.Smith We also run that script [or a version of it], but we still see the message appear.

The problem only happens for the first user who logs in [who doesn't have an account on the computer until first login as it's a network account]. Subsequent users do not have the problem.

I'm therefore a little confused! The first part of the script sets the user template up, and the first user that logs in should get the user template. All other users who get the user template do not get prompted??

CCNapier
Contributor

I think resolved.
It seems there was error in the script (which is strange as it was added to Casper as part of our JumpStart and not by us).

I found this by adding the script as a policy, and running it from self service. When it failed, I was able to check the logs from the JSS.

Which begs the question - is there a way to see the output LOGS from scripts run at imaging time? I checked the var/log/jamf.log which outlines the package copy/run, but doesn't seem to give any output from scripts.