Difference between caching and install cached copy

rcurran
Contributor

Trying to setup an upgrade policy via https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=173

Not sure whether to set the dmg to install, cache, or install cached copy. About half of my users are remote and rely on less than reliable network connections where resuming the download later would probably be helpful.

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

rcurran
Contributor

Please disregard, I believe I found my answer.

Happy new year!

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Just to add something to consider...

If you've got remote users with less than great connections, if you haven't already, consider making your distribution points distribute over http(s) by default. This way they'll get resumable downloads.

rcurran
Contributor

Thank you sir! I just checked and I believe that is setup. Does this mean when I setup the policy I can chose to do a regular install, and the download should be resumable?

http://cl.ly/image/2f1n3P0u1a0t

Thanks for the clarification

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yeah you're setup for it.

Right. What will happen is that when the appropriate trigger is hit (typically your every15) the machine will see a policy needs to be run. It starts downloading the payload. Now, let's say it's disconnected. In this case, because reporting the policy execution status (pass/fail) is DEAD last in a task, the JSS will believe that the system hasn't run it yet. As such, the next time it checks in on the trigger for that policy, your client will see that there's some bits already downloaded and should pick up where it left off. Once it finally has all of the payloads, it'll execute and then report its status (pass/fail ) to the JSS.

Follow?

About the only thing I use caching for these days is to do a "big bang" installation across a user-base of something large. For instance, if we know on a particular date we're upgrading to the latest major version of Office, I may start planting the seeds for it a week or two prior. I don't want everyone whacking my server at once for a large package so if I can soften up the shores by pre-deploying that large package, the actual rollout will be more smooth.

rcurran
Contributor

This helps a lot, Jared. Im assuming that Self Service policies will have the resume option the same way, correct?

Regarding the last bit, would you run a separate policy to interact with the "seeded" files once they were successfully cached to the machine?

Best

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

One common practice when talking about caching and Self Service is to have 2 policies. One that caches the file on an automated schedule, like the every15 trigger. The other policy being in Self Service that is scoped to a Smart group for Macs that have reported in to have the cached files present. That way only the machines that have the installers in place locally will actually see the Self Service policy and can run it.
You can use the Receipts section in a Smart Group to select any cached updates, but best to wait until at least one Mac has successfully run and downloaded the pkg in question so you can just pick it from the list.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

+1 for mm2270. This is the right way to do it.

Kyuubi
Contributor

bump

apizz
Valued Contributor

Very helpful. Thanks guys.