Different URL for iOS updates?

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

uh oh, Apple must have changed something in the iOS update mechanism. For years, I have been blocking the mesu.apple.com URL at my firewall to prevent my kindergatners from accidentally upgrading our iPads. But now it doesn’t appear to be working. My iPads are all asking to be updated to iOS 12. Anyone know what the new update URL is? Or can someone confirm they are seeing this also?

A 90 day window is not long enough for my organization. Realisticaly and pragmaticaly, we can only really update our iPad fleet during the summer months.

6 REPLIES 6

ICTMuttenz
Contributor

try this. I can't test it at the moment.

updates-http.cdn-apple.com

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I'm seeing this also. That suggested URL is not working. I've created an Enterprise ticket, will update this thread as soon as I have an answer.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@damienbarrett what happens if you actually try to Download and Install iOS 12 - it is failing here.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Still waiting for a response from my second email to Enterprise support, However blocking gdmf.apple.com in addition to mesu.apple.com seems to fix it?

joelande
Contributor

cdn-apple.com is the new one that I found, but it affected me on the other side, I had to whitelist the domain on our content filter to get software updates to work.

I realize apple is a big corporation, but I really wish they would stick with *.apple.com for their official content. That is what subdomains are for...

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

See page 185 of the latest MDM Protocol Reference. In order to support delayed software updates, there is a new link gdmf.apple.com.

chris