Disable Firefox Auto Update for users

llitz123
Contributor III

I searched yet didnt find an answer.
How do I set Firefox to disable auto updates using Casper?
Thanks for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ctangora
Contributor III

I would suggest using the ESR from Firefox, and using a CCK to implement this. But otherwise you can just create a .js file and put it in the firefox application.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ctangora
Contributor III

I would suggest using the ESR from Firefox, and using a CCK to implement this. But otherwise you can just create a .js file and put it in the firefox application.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Seconded! ESR is the way to go!

althea
Contributor

I'll echo what the others have said and recommend you use the ESR: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Script-wise, here's what we have been using for quite awhile now... Maybe you'll find it useful.

I don't recall if my colleague wrote it himself or found it somewhere, so I cannot attribute credit appropriately.

#!/bin/bash

type=`cat /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js | awk '/update/ { print $2 }'`

if [ -e /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js ]; then
    case $type in
        *esr*)
            cp /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js /private/tmp/firefox.js
            echo "s/esr/none/g" > /private/tmp/firefox.sed
            sed -f /private/tmp/firefox.sed /private/tmp/firefox.js > /private/tmp/channel-prefs.js
            rm /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js
            mv /private/tmp/channel-prefs.js /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/
            ;;
        *release*)
            cp /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js /private/tmp/firefox.js
            echo "s/Release/none/g" > /private/tmp/firefox.sed
            sed -f /private/tmp/firefox.sed /private/tmp/firefox.js > /private/tmp/channel-prefs.js
            mv /private/tmp/channel-prefs.js /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/
            ;;
        *)
            exit 0
            ;;
    esac
fi
exit 0

llitz123
Contributor III

I use ESR and have auto update disabled on my image yet sometimes when I add user accounts to the image it resets the auto update to on.
I'll look into CCK...

PeterClarke
Contributor II

Hi, ( Answers own question )

Could someone tell me a bit more about what ESR and CCK is ?

I have not come across those terms / items before, so i have no idea about them
is there some web reference ? YES: Search on "Firefox ESR", ( = Extended Support Release)
"Firefox CCK" ( = Customisation Kit )

-- Thanks for mentioning them..

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

What about deleting the updater.app within the app itself.

#!/bin/bash

/bin/rm -rf /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/updater.app

exit 0

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

That's what I do. Delete the updater within the bundle as a post flight script except on your dev box. After all only you want the notification right ;)

charliwest
Contributor II

@althea I don't suppose you have an updated version of this do you? I tried tweaking it but doesnt seem to do anything for me.

EDIT

Worked it out, not full tested yet though

#!/bin/bash

type=`cat /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js | awk '/update/ { print $2 }'`

if [ -e /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js ]; then
    case $type in
        *esr*)
            echo "s/esr/none/g" > /private/tmp/firefox.sed
            ;;
        *release*)
            cp /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js /private/tmp/firefox.js
            echo "s/release/none/g" > /private/tmp/firefox.sed
            rm /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js
            mv /private/tmp/channel-prefs.js /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/
            ;;
        *)            
            exit 0
            ;;
    esac
fi
exit 0

jduvalmtb
Contributor

I needed to update all the statements to the /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/ location - works when I did so.

agurley
New Contributor II

I realize @ctangora's solution post is pretty old, but wanted to confirm that the CCK worked perfectly with ESR 45.1.1. I did fumble around for a bit after the CCK gave me a .zip file that I wasn't sure what to do with. Tip: Extract the contents and dump into the FF app bundle (Firefox.app->Contents->Resources).

bcbackes
Contributor III

I know this is a really old post. Just checking to see if this is still valid or not. I tried following the steps, however, I must be missing something. I'm fairly new to Jamf and Macs.

Thanks!