disable optical audio

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Is there a way to do this? I am looking through all the kernel extensions but I cannot really tell if one just controls the optical audio output. Also, google searches just turn up people asking the same question with no answers.

Anyone know this?

thanks

Tom

5 REPLIES 5

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

Hey Thomas

I tried to do this quite a while ago and was told by Apple Support that its not possible.

I had another quick look on Google and could not find anything.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well if anyone has magic'd up a solution.

Regards
John

ernstcs
Contributor III

I don't have an answer, but I'm always curious why you crazy people have to do some of this stuff?

Craig E

Not applicable

Craig,

There's a problem with the switch in the audio port on certain Macbook Pros that locks output in digital audio mode which takes precedence over the built-in speakers and analog devices.

Tom,

Many users have had luck prying the switch back using a toothpick.

I'm afraid it isn't as simple as disabling a kext. I systematically disabled every related kext, but the best that would do is kill audio altogether. I tried mucking around with the responsible kext, but ended up giving up and installing Ubuntu.

Brandt

Sent from my iPhone

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

On the new MBP's, we've also had the issue of analog audio not providing enough impedence to trigger it to correctly output audio to room audio systems... We have had to put a little adapter in the line to make sure the MBP can 'see' that it's attached to something. my guess is they went this way because of the need for a toothpick in previous generations that we've also seen.

The symptom we've seen is that it has introduced noise into the audio line and hiss and popping, but as soon as there is any sound, even hitting the volume control button on the keyboard to get the 'pops' to happen, the buzz goes away for a few seconds but then comes back.

We too explored ways to set it differently but came up blank. Now we just went old school and added a load into the audio line to make it all work.

John
--
John Wetter
Technical Services Manager
Educational Technology, Media & Information Services
Hopkins Public Schools
952-988-5373

CypherCookie
Contributor

its pretty obvious that you won't be able to disable the optical audio as this functionality normally resides in the EFI. I have never seen Apple give you the ability to disable a piece of hardware through their software.....