Disable "Enable automatic connection" for 802.1x

kiltedtenor
New Contributor II

I know this appears to have been partially answered in an older post, but it's a nearly 10 year old post. Does anyone have any idea how to disable the "Enable automatic connection" for 802.1x in Network Settings? Very similar to that post, the networking team has enabled 802.1x on our network switches before we were ready to implement it with the expectation that "well, Windows will ignore it until its set up". MacOS will not unless the toggle/checkbox for "Enable automatic connection" is turned off. My users are getting repeated popups telling them 802.1x authentication has failed until we get around to sending at tech to toggle that choice manually. I'm hoping there is any other way, rather than doing it manually. Any help is appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

TheITGuy69
Contributor

In my Configuration Profile for our 802.1x settings, under the Network Section there is an "Auto Join" check box. Try unchecking that. 

That's probably on me for lack of clarity, but it's specifically Ethernet I'm looking at. I see that for wifi though, and it was a good place to start. I'm trying to get it to not even try 802.1x authentication at all, if possible. Our Windows machines (that aren't under my purview) are falling back to MAC address auth because they haven't been set up for 802.1x, and I'd like the Macs to do the same. 

hcodfrie
Contributor

You can scope a Configuration Profile to those machines

the domain is : com.apple.network.eapolcontrol.ByHost

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>EthernetAutoConnect</key>
    <false/>
  </dict>
</plist>

802.1x.jpg