Disable Screen recording on a Mac.

Jamie1
New Contributor

Hi Fellow Jamf experts,

I've got an odd request, are we able to disable the screen recording feature under screenshot through the MDM?

I've found it records the screen & sound, which goes against the company compliancy rules - any support would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Kinds regards

James Sewell

2 REPLIES 2

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

It's not entirely clear what you're asking. Are you saying there is a way for Jamf Pro to enable screen recording on a managed/enrolled Mac or iPad? If so, I haven't seen this anywhere (maybe in a really old version of Casper).

Apple has been quite aggressive about not allowing us Mac Admins to programatically enable screen recording. It is a privacy concern. In fact, if you search these boards, you'll find lots of admins asking how to do this, so that end users don't have to -- this is usually for remote support programs like Webex, TeamViewer, etc.

My last understanding was that when a device is supervised, there are more options to programatically enable screensharing and recording. When a device is not supervised, it is up to the end user to manually enable these options in Security & Privacy.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Just to clarify what you're looking for is to disable the screenshot functionality? If so the restrictions payload in a configuration profile can disable those. The key you're looking for is under the Functionality tab.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 12.56.24 PM.png