Disable Siri "Listen for" sub-setting

matt-hunt
New Contributor

Is there a way to force set the "Listen for" setting under Siri settings to Off?

matthunt_2-1724029700623.png

We have disabled the assistant overall, as well as applied a config profile blocking the use of Siri. However, when disabling the assistant via a plist edit, if the "Listen for" setting was set to anything other than Off when this change took place, the user now gets a popup stating "You do not have permission to use Siri" whenever they say something out loud that sounds remotely similar to "Siri".

matthunt_0-1724029343646.png

5 REPLIES 5

summerly
New Contributor II

A configuration key to edit the "Listen for" option does not exist. The only option available seems to be running a script to disable the Siri process entirely. I found a post for macOS Sierra, where the last reply was several years ago, and the post itself is seven years old. It provides some guidance on disabling the Siri Launch Agent. Note that System Integrity Protection must be disabled for this to work.

boberito
Valued Contributor

summerly
New Contributor II

I managed to create a profile to disable "Listen For" using that as a reference. I apologise for my earlier response, I spent a considerable amount of time searching for the key but couldn't locate it. However, I realised that to disable "Listen For", the correct key is com.apple.siri, not com.apple.assistant. I've attached the example profile I created below, which successfully disables both Siri and "Listen For." Again, I apologise for the incorrect response @matt-hunt.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PayloadContent</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Assistant Enabled</key>
<false/>
<key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
<string>Assistant</string>
<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.assistant.support.DDD77940-6BEA-47AC-A55C-D2106395736E</string>
<key>PayloadType</key>
<string>com.apple.assistant.support</string>
<key>PayloadUUID</key>
<string>DDD77940-6BEA-47AC-A55C-D2106395736E</string>
<key>PayloadVersion</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Assistant Enabled</key>
<false/>
<string>Settings</string>
<string>com.apple.siri</string>
<key>PayloadType</key>
<string>com.apple.siri</string>
<key>PayloadUUID</key>
<string>185317D3-BB90-486B-9C05-C97E8185C5C8</string>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>VoiceTriggerUserEnabled</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</array>
<key>PayloadDescription</key>
<string>Disable Siri and Apple Assistant</string>
<string>Disable Siri and Apple Assistant</string>
<string>com.testorg.siri</string>
<key>PayloadOrganization</key>
<string>Test Org</string>
<key>PayloadType</key>
<string>Configuration</string>
<key>PayloadUUID</key>
<string>AB4EBADA-6FEB-4956-B3A3-A6C3D4FFCD45</string>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

You don't even need to do this. Just upload this to “Application & Custom Settings” > Upload with the domain com.apple.Siri:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>VoiceTriggerUserEnabled</key>
	<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 8.20.11 AM.png

After I have pushed the profile to affected computers, "Listen for" is displayed as disabled in the GUI.

Unfortunately, the Macs still respond to a “Hey Siri” and the “You do not have permission to use Siri” popup appears.