Disabling iOS Share and Action Extensions

callenordangard
New Contributor

I need help figuring out what Apple means by "You can also suppress sharing by turning off the Allow Define feature" from the second to last paragraph of page 4 in the document "Assessment with iPad"?

I am trying to figure out a way to disable Share and Action Extensions from within Casper Suite to be able to use Pages for writing assessments. I don't believe it is possible (yet), but I thought that the quote maybe suggests otherwise. My question is mainly what is referred to by "the Allow Define feature". The only thing I can find is the Configuration Profile Key allowDefinitionLookup, but as far as I can tell, this key only makes it possible to disable word definition lookups, and I fail to see the connection to any sharing features.

At the moment it seems to be a bit arbitrary which extensions get disabled in different apps when enabling Single App Mode. As far as I can tell when Pages enters SAM the Message and Notes Share Extensions and also third party Action Extensions e.g. Dropbox are disabled, but not the Copy, Print, Send to..., iTunes and WebDAV Action Extensions. The last one seems to be the biggest problem for me, since the students in principle could set up a communications channel through a shared WebDAV-server if they are tech-savvy enough.

It's a bit unnerving to just assume that all third party Action Extensions get disabled. I can't really try them all out just to make sure. If someone knows of any documentation on the matter I would be happy to know.

0 REPLIES 0