Disabling Screen Time on Mac OS Monterey

pbileci
New Contributor III

All of our students have Macbooks and many of their parents set up screen time settings on their Macbooks using an Apple ID that's connected to their family account. Every so often, we run into the issue of the parents restricting apps that they need to use during the school day. Is there any way to prevent this using Jamf? Or is there a way for us as admins to go into the screen time settings and unlock it without the parents' passcode? This is mostly an issue with Macbooks running Monterey, although we do still have some with Catalina and Big Sur. We have experienced this issue with the older OS's as well. This is at a high school grades 8 - 12, so this mostly affects the 8th graders.

2 REPLIES 2

malexander
New Contributor II

Hello @pbileci , I just was playing around with config profiles for this exact issue. I know its a little long since you posted, but on the off chance you are still looking for a way to do this its fairly simple. Jamf > Configuration Profiles > New > Restrictions > Preferences > *click "Enable Restrictions in System Preferences* > Check off Screen Time. Hope this helps.

pbileci
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. Our student restrictions policy prevents the student from accessing the Screen Time settings. The issue we ran into was that Screen Time will still be activated if the student logs into the Macbook with their personal Apple ID. I think we can solve this issue by giving the students a managed Apple ID. We just have to put that in place for all of our students.